In other words, when you have High Agency and Low Time Preference, you will find a way to get things done now, that benefit you in the future.
- Be Proactive - High agency
- Begin with the End in Mind - Reverse engineer your goals
- Put first Things First - Take action on things that matter most
- Think Win Win - In all negotiations - Mutually beneficial
- Seek first to Understand before being Understood - Becoming an empathic listener
- Synergize - In relationships the whole is more than the sum of its parts
- Sharpen the Saw - Maintain a balance
To dig deeper into each principal, download 7 Habits PDF.
Buy the book here. Audiobook here. Personal workbook here.
The following exercise may help you consider what you’ll spend a large portion of your life doing.
Study the Ikigai Venn diagram, brainstorm some bullet point answers, then ask yourself the following questions:
Download Ikigai PDF.
- What do you love doing? Like really love doing? (This can be more than one thing)
- List every hobby that you currently do regularly (This may be different to the list in #1)
- Now categorize these ‘loves’ and hobbies by industries and highlight the hobbies, since you commit to them regularly (these are different to the ‘loves’ because they may be more obtainable. Somebody that loves travel probably doesn’t do it all that often.)
- Under each industry, write something (or more than one thing) that the industry needs
- Again, under each industry, write every job or service that you could be paid for. You specifically. Don’t put jobs or tasks you have no idea about.
- Evaluate if any of these jobs or services serve the need in each industry. If they do, put them on a separate list.
- Compare the new list side-by-side with your list of ‘things you love’ and order them by most desired to least desired.
Although the process itself won’t feel life-changing, it’s a simple exercise that a lot of people never bother to do. It simply helps you take a step back and properly evaluate what you love, what you could be paid for, and what you’d be happy spending a majority of your waking moments doing. Because let’s face it, running your new business will be a 24/7 affair for the first year or so.
Here is a link the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and Ikigai Frameworks.
These visualizations, goals, mind maps, and questions have helped me explore and hone in on a High Agency and Low Time Preference Growth Mindset.